People Operations Assistant (Contract)
Fluent City is looking for a People Operations Assistant (Contract) to help with our recruiting and internal human resources. This person will work 15-25 hours per week as a contractor. As the People Operations Assistant (Contract), you will be responsible for sourcing and screening the best teachers and full-time employees to join our teacher workforce and internal teams! We hire enthusiastic and creative teachers to give our students the best experience possible. You will be an essential part of the process by helping to ensure our candidates have a great experience and by hiring top talent to add to our vibrant teaching community. You will also be responsible for all onboarding and offboarding of new employees and teachers ensuring HR compliance across the board. You will report to the Talent and Culture Manager and you will work closely with the operations team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Iterate on and post job descriptions on career websites and across job boards
- Evaluate and screen resumes, cover letters, and videos
- Schedule and conduct screenings, interviews and follow-up meetings
- Cultivate, nourish and maintain a short-list of top talent for potential hires
- Support our Talent & Culture Manager with hiring needs and onboarding
- Oversee applicant sources and maintain full pipelines across all languages, locations and business lines
- Compile, update, and maintain recruiting metrics to identify, propose, and implement key opportunities for improvements in Fluent City’s recruitment process and strategy
- Stay up-to-date with sourcing and recruiting strategies, industry trends, and policies
- Onboarding of new hires, including answering any onboarding questions
- Administer payroll for our internal team and teacher workforce on ADP
- Update and maintain information in our HR systems while ensuring compliance, including for our online workforce
- Ad hoc human resource and operational tasks including disability filing, sales tax filing, workers comp auditing, employment verifications, contract renewals, etc.
You’ll enjoy this job if you have:
- Great people skills! You will be working with ALL personality types across multiple cultures
- Great writing skills, both interpersonal and content driven. You will be writing job descriptions, constantly improving upon them, as well as corresponding with potential candidate
- Solid knowledge of HR policies and best practices for interviews and hiring
- Experience working across multiple databases, including CRM, ATS, HRIS and scheduling platforms
- A data-driven, analytical mentality. We believe that all great decisions are made backed by data
- Familiarity with communication channels and social media, especially LinkedIn
- A self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit
- An eagerness to dive into new learning experiences and identifying solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High attention to detail and superior organization skills
- 1+ years experience in HR / Recruiting
- Bilingual or polyglots is a huge plus
- Foreign language or ESL teaching experience
ABOUT FLUENT CITY
Who we are:
Fluent City is a language learning organization devoted to guiding students towards their learning goals through our human-centric, experiential approach. We are a globally-minded team on a mission to empower students to learn new skills, and by doing so, expand their horizons and foster understanding and communication across cultures and communities. We’re one of the fastest-growing premier language learning organizations in the US. Our learners have the real-world practice and confidence they need to communicate in any situation: in the home, workplace, or over drinks in the bar.
With over 180+ instructors on staff, we teach students in-person at our locations across NYC & DC, work with many leading Corporate clients, and teach students online.
What we value:
- We operate from a place of empathy and transparency.
- We remain flexible and open to change.
- We are passionate about the work we do and believe in individuality - blaze your trail, take responsibility and inspire others to do the same.
- We set ambitious goals and understand metrics, but make human decisions.
- We experiment often and iterate quickly.
- We are supportive and collaborative.
What we offer:
- Unlimited vacation
- Quarterly Remote Weeks
- Flexible work from home policy
- Competitive salary
- Free language classes
- Commuter benefits
- A modern Brooklyn office with all the kombucha and cold brew you can drink