Senior Full Stack Developer
Fluent City is a Django app with a PostgreSQL database, but you’ll have the chance to work on both the back and front end of a very modern tech stack using Heroku, Python, Django, Webpack, and React. In this position, you’ll be playing a crucial role in the actual product buildout. You will develop the existing in-person education product through a variety of online educational and interactive experiences, as well as forge ahead with a sophisticated platform for learning language online. You’ll be in charge of taking ideas from the whiteboard and working closely with our team to bring ideas to life and once live, optimizing them. While we have a modern Brooklyn office, the Senior Full Stack Developer has an option to work remote.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing Fluent City’s web and mobile presence—and streamlining the both of them
- Optimizing back-end performance—cutting down to the cleanest possible code and infrastructure
- Creating front-end aesthetic styling for main site and marketing landing pages
- Generating software requirements
- Checking and monitoring logs and error tracking software
- Ensuring our technology systems are working seamlessly by testing, bug fixing, technical debt fixing
- Participating in code reviews on Github
- Helping to brainstorm and create new product features
- Writing unit and integration tests (something we value highly)
- Working with 3rd party API’s
- Documenting your code and following best practices
You’ll enjoy this job if you have:
- 2+ years experience working at a software company or startup
- 4-5 years of professional software development experience
- Experience with Django
- Strong working knowledge of Python 3 (e.g. you know how to use generators)
- Working knowledge of SQL (we use Postgres, Sqlite, and Redshift)
- Working knowledge of SCRUM and Github
- Fluency in front-end languages such as HTML & CSS (Flexbox and CSS Grid preferred)
- Prior experience closely working with product/design teams
- A proclivity for self-directed learning, e.g. deep diving into 3rd party web documentation, knowing how to independently find answers to tough coding problems
- A love of analyzing problems, designing, and implementing new features
- A self-starter attitude and true love of autonomy
- Devops experience (Docker, AWS)
- HTML5 and CSS3 a huge plus
ABOUT FLUENT CITY
Who we are:
Fluent City is a language learning organization devoted to guiding students towards their learning goals through our human-centric, experiential approach. We are a globally-minded team on a mission to empower students to learn new skills, and by doing so, expand their horizons and foster understanding and communication across cultures and communities. We’re one of the fastest-growing premier language learning organizations in the US. Our learners have the real-world practice and confidence they need to communicate in any situation: in the home, workplace, or over drinks in the bar.
With over 180+ instructors on staff, we teach students in-person at our locations across NYC & DC, work with many leading Corporate clients, and teach students online.
What we value:
- We operate from a place of empathy and transparency.
- We remain flexible and open to change.
- We are passionate about the work we do and believe in individuality - blaze your trail, take responsibility and inspire others to do the same.
- We set ambitious goals and understand metrics, but make human decisions.
- We experiment often and iterate quickly.
- We are supportive and collaborative.
What we offer:
- Unlimited vacation
- Quarterly Remote Weeks
- Flexible work from home policy
- Competitive salary
- Free language classes
- Medical, dental, life insurance and short and long-term disability
- Free health concierge services
- Retirement savings plans
- Commuter benefits